THE SCHOOL CURRICULUM
The Skills Framework
‘of the employers reporting skills gaps, lack of ICT skills is the most common problem, followed by communication skills….showing initiative, problem solving and ability to learn.’
Future Skills Wales 2003 Generic Skills Survey
FOUNDATION PHASE CURRICULUM (3—7 years)
Through the Foundation Phase we aim to provide the children with the opportunity to develop ….
- Skills and understanding;
- Personal, social, emotional, physical and intellectual well-being so as to develop the whole child;
- Positive attitudes to learning so that they enjoy learning and will want to continue with their education for longer;
- Self-esteem and self confidence to experiment, investigate, learn new things and form new relationships;
- Creative and expressive skills and observation to encourage their development as individuals with different ways of responding to experiences; and
- Activities in the outdoors where they can have first-hand experience of solving real problems in aspects such as mathematics and science and learn about conservation and sustainability
KEY STAGE 2 SKILLS BASED CURRICULUM (7—11 years)
The essential skills of Communication, Number, ICT and Thinking will permeate both core and foundation subject areas. The curriculum will take place within an integrated theme where it is meaningful and relevant.
Children will be encouraged to develop, through a thinking skills programme ……..
- Self confidence
- Independence in learning